Monday, November 10, 2008

Mexican Food at Wal-Mart

The other day, Laura and I were at Wal-Mart. (Sorry, haters.)

As I went to find some Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (an obvious staple), I couldn't help but notice the two different food section signs hanging above the aisle:

"Hispanic Food" and "Latino Food"



What? Really? Ok, that's new. Well, I figured I'd get to the bottom of it and figure out what was going on.

After 10 seconds of intensive field study, I had ascertained the following:

Hispanic Food is apparently what we call Salsa. That's all.
I imagine someone from Spain might happen upon that section while visiting the tourist-attraction supercenter, and think, "Oh yeah, there's our food. Exactly like what we have back in our Hispanic homeland."

The Latino Food section is a bit more diverse, including the likes of Taco Bell brand refried beans, Taco Bell brand taco shells, Taco Bell brand hot sauce, and a bunch of stuff "Made in M&*!^%"

I left the store with a renewed disappointment in society, and a couple of questions:

What is the real difference between Latino and Hispanic?

Where can I find the freaking Mexican food??

4 comments:

bryant RICHARD casteel said...

So I actually learned the difference between Hispanic and Latino (from the TV show "Monk"):

"Latino" is everything from "Latin America" (which is basically everything south of the U.S.), and "hispanic" is just from the Spanish-speaking part of Latin America.

So, basically latino includes Brazil and hispanic doesn't. I don't really know how salsa fits into that.

kel said...

So people from Spain or Portugal aren't Hispanic or Latino?

Ry said...

Very interesting. Wikipedia thinks they're synonymous, and I've heard pretty much every other possible explanation.

But if Monk has spoken, I will take that as doctrine. Well, at least until Dwight says differently.

Rachel said...

BAHAHA!! That the funniest thing have heard. Society sucks.
love rachel and rachel